My works feature atmospheric and suggestive depictions of landscape or cosmic territory, mapping stratified, fragmented geographies, made
of multiple layers and transparencies. Painting being my primary medium, I employ acrylic, oil, spray paint, paint marker and enamel, always
searching for a confluence of these materials to convey a sense of flux linking the concrete and the abstract, the natural and the artificial,
the real and the virtual.
My observations of micro and macro landscape, as well as my interest for cosmology, natural sciences and the effects of technology
on our condition, flow into cardinal points within my inspirations. Various marks, graphic lines and topographic nets I use, are borrowed and
transformed from those means used in topography and science to mark and measure space and time. They form networks that are eiter
mixing or competing with layered organic shapes and colors, exploring the tensions between chaos and control, the expression of natural forces
undergoing mutations, and the weight of their emotional impact.
As the layers of paint and lines create - or destroy - worlds, painting is for me a dedication of time to space. It is a slow process
acting as a form of resistance to the very fast paced outside world and the ubiquity of surface scrolling.
Today we know an Earth which is entirely pictured and mapped, and technologies allow us to see way beyond our sight, from down to an individual
atom to distant galaxies in the Universe. They provide us with immediate access to vast multitudes of information, images and ways to connect
with others, impacting our perception of the world and our place within it. The effects of the virtual world etch new cartographic features to
our experience of reality, creating worlds on top (or on side?) of worlds where we never really know who we are, where we are located, or where
we are going. From tectonic to technological spaces, my work seeks to explore and map my relationship to these intricate ever-flowing terrains.
With each work, whether through painting, installation or video, I engage new narratives of ever-evolving mind's inner geography, where I can
make space for contemplation and impede the flow of time which seems otherwise accelerated and compressed.
Marie-Dolma Chophel graduated with her MFA from the Ecole Nationale Superieure des Beaux-Arts de Paris, France, in 2008. Since she moved from
France to the USA in 2012, her work has been shown throughout the country in museums and galleries, with a Solo Show at Equity Gallery (NYC) in 2019,
and Group Exhibitions including at Mc Nichols Civic Center (CO), W.Ming Art (NYC), the Berkeley Museum BAMPFA (CA), 532 Gallery Thomas Jaeckel (NYC),
the Queens Museum (NY), CU Art Museum (CO), Fleming Museum (VT) and Samuel Dorsky Museum (NY). She also exhibited her work in London and Hong Kong at
the Rossi & Rossi Gallery and in Paris, France, at the Atelier Clot.
In 2019, she was invited to be part of the Honorary Committee for SFT's annual fundraising 'Art for Tibet'(NYC) as well as a Honorary Member of the
Rubin Museum (NYC) and a Host Artist for the 2019 Rubin Museum's Annual Soiree "Power After Dark".
Chophel was awarded a Residency at the Sam & Adele Golden Foundation for the Arts (NY) in 2014.
She lives and works in Brooklyn, NY.
2008 – 2009
Post-graduate year, Ecole Nationale Superieure des Beaux-arts de Paris, Paris, FR
2003 – 2008
Ecole Nationale Superieure des Beaux-arts de Paris (ENSBA), in Jean-Michel Alberola's studio, Paris, FR.
DNAP (Diplome National d'Arts Plastiques) Bachelor Degree in Art in 2006
DNSAP (Diplome National Superieur d'Arts Plastiques) Masters Degree in Art in 2008
- Spirit Resonance, Jan - April 2020, Group Show curated by Sarah Magnatta, McNichols Civic Center, Denver, CO, USA.
- SOLO SHOW - Parallel Worlds , May 2019, Equity Gallery, NYC, USA.
- Art For Tibet , Nov 2019, Exhibition and benefit auction for SFT, Gallery 8, NYC, USA.
- Shapes of Time, July - Sept 2019, Solo curated by W.Ming Art, NYC, USA.
- Deep | Unknown, March 2019, Group show curated by W.Ming Art, hosted at Walter Arader Himalayan Art, NYC, USA.
- Ukayzine Vol.01, Feb 2019, Group show at Atelier Martel, Paris, FR.
- Boundless, Group Show, Berkeley Art Museum (BAMPFA), Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Winter Show, 532 Gallery Thomas Jaeckel, New York,NY, USA.
- Concrete Beach, World Money Gallery Brooklyn pop-up show, Miami, FL, USA.
- Winter Show, 532 Gallery Thomas Jaeckel, New York,NY, USA.
- Made in Paint, SAGG Gallery at Golden Artist Colors, New Berlin, NY, USA.
Group show of the 2014 Artists in Residence at the Sam & Adele Golden Foundation for the Arts.
- Anonymous - Contemporary Tibetan Art, CU Art Museum, Boulder, CO.
- Telluric, Group show curated by John Gardner at the Kirkland Art Center, Clinton, NY, USA.
- Anonymous: Contemporary Tibetan Art, Queens Museum,
curated by Rachel Perera Weingeist, Queens, NY, USA.
- Imaginary Places, new works by Marie-Dolma Chophel and Lennart Rieder. 532 Gallery
Thomas Jaeckel, New York, NY, USA.
- Impermanence, Rossi & Rossi Gallery Hong Kong, Wong Chuk Hang, Hong Kong.
- Anonymous: Contemporary Tibetan Art, Fleming Museum,
curated by Rachel Perera Weingeist, Burlington, VT, USA.
- In Between, Group show at Rossi& Rossi Gallery London,
curated by Tenzing Rigdol, London, UK.
- Anonymous: Contemporary Tibetan Art, Samuel Dorsky Museum,
curated by Rachel Perera Weingeist, New Paltz, NY, USA.
- Situation Raw, Wix Lounge, curated by Rachel Wells, New York, NY, USA.
- Invasive Ways, What Goes Around Comes Around, Brooklyn, NY, USA.
- Grand Harvest Show/ Juried exhibition at the WAH Center, Brooklyn, NY, USA.
- Alterations, La Generale, Sevres, FR.
- Aleas, with Claire Vaudey and Romain Brejon, La Cabine, Paris, FR.
- Across the Land, La Pagode de Vincennes, Paris, FR.
- 21st Biennale d'Art Contemporain de Cachan, Cachan (94), FR.
- Salon des Realites Nouvelles, young artist invited, Parc Floral, Paris, FR.
- Join Us, La Generale, Sevres, FR.
- L'Art est Vivant, Chateau Sainte-Barbe, Fontenay-aux-Roses (92), FR.
- A&M, with Adrien Cicero, La Biscuiterie, Chateau-Thierry, FR.
- 1500 Signes, End of Master's Degree exhibition at the ENSBA, Paris, FR.
Residency and Award___________________________________________
- Honorary Committee Member for SFT's annual fundraising 'Art for Tibet'(NYC)
- Host Artist for the 2019 Rubin Museum's Annual Gala "Power After Dark" and Honorary Member of the Rubin Museum (NYC).
- Awarded of a Residency at the Sam and Adele Golden Foundation for the Arts, New Berlin, NY